Wednesday, February 18, 2015

When God closes a door he often opens a window.


     As the snow sets down in Michigan and makes Detroit seem new and clean, I count the days to when I can get back up and ride.
     My last ride of the season was Toy's for Tot's, December 14th and I didn’t even get to ride my own, I rode on the back of my best friend’s bike and allowed his brother-in-law to ride mine. To some that may seem a little strange, some may say that no one rides their bike but them. I don’t see it like that; I don’t mind sharing like that when it comes to making someone else’s day. 
     If I am honest about it, I really didn't mind.  The night before I was forced to go to a farewell party for myself, where I had one big problem.  I couldn't seem to find the end of the drinks that SOME PEOPLE, ....we won't mention names here....THEY know who they are .... kept buying and putting in front of me.  Needless to say, I was pretty tore up, from the floor up. 
     I spent the night at my best friends house.  Settling in to the recliners to sleep in the living room, we chatted and laughed until around 2 in the morning and yet I didn't regret it, even when we had to get up the un-Godly hour of 6 am.
     Laughter and friendship like that is rare and I would gladly give up precious sleep just to spend a few hours with good conversation and great laughs.
     It’s often said that if you want to find someone, stop looking. I am here to tell you that in not looking for someone, I found even more. I found a best friend when I wasn’t looking. He and his family allowed me access into their hearts and home. They allowed someone that was almost a complete stranger to spend a few hours away from my small one bedroom hotel room where the stark white walls would sometimes feel as if they were staring back at me. I was allowed to feel useful. I was allowed to feel needed. I was allowed to feel the love of a family other than my own. I chose a road that wasn’t on my map and I never expected to find the ride of a life time. I hope the view is always this beautiful.
     The Toy's for Tot's ride was pretty awesome, about 800 bikes riding all around Texarkana, clogging up the streets, causing traffic jams, having permission to run red lights and I didn’t have to stop to take pictures, I got to take all the pictures I wanted AND even some video.
      The bike was loaded onto the trailer a few days later with care just before Christmas. I said my good-byes, cried my tears, and resolved that this would not be the end of my southern adventure. I may not make my permanent home that far south but I am not finished trying to get out of the north and back to the other side of the Mason-Dixon Line.  

     Even though I am so far away from the warm weather where I can ride, I find solace in the fact that I have so many friends and extended family that I can count on and that I love with all my heart. I know I could jump on my bike and show up at their doorstep looking for shelter; doors and arms would be flung open, inviting me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment