Wednesday, October 15, 2014

      I am 48 years old and I have never lived on my own, at least not for a long period of time, say more than 6 months. At 45 I found myself alone with my children grown and my husband of 24 years going down his own road, a choice that didn’t much make sense to me but never the less it was of his own doing.  His road, I am sure that he will find, is a dead end with no way to turn around.  The roads in front of me, however, are full of endless possibilities.
     This weekend I found myself adventuring across Texas…ALL the way across and even up into New Mexico.  View upon view.  Some were phenomenal and some were eye opening as we use the land to fuel possibilities.
     I found that central Texas, known for its oil drilling, wasn’t as pretty as my part of East Texas and West Texas, known for its sparse desert landscape had a beauty all its own.  Being the largest state in the continental US, Texas has one commonality, its people.
     I think it is a southern thing in general. People are friendlier.  The younger ones use words like Ma’am and Sir.  The older ones use darlin’, sweetheart, and lady.  Making eye contact almost guarantees a conversation will be struck up and just getting a cup of coffee means you’ll be sitting with a local and shooting the breeze for a spell.  
     A woman alone on a big yellow Harley is a great conversation starter and although I normally am not one that seeks out attention I am becoming comfortable enough with myself that it no longer bothers me when the questions start.  Questions like, "Is that your bike?" "Aren't you afraid to be riding by yourself?".  Then there are the comments.  My favorite and the one I get the most is, "Nice bike."  Yes, she is a beautiful bike and I love the color.
     Slowing down once in a while is a good thing. You meet people, intertwine with their lives, and narrow that 6 degrees of separation a little more. It opens your eyes, heart and mind to hear and see the way some people are, how different and how a like.
    All in all I realize that I may be on my own but ultimately I am never really alone, I have friends everywhere.  Some of them I haven't met yet and THAT is the adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment