Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Heading Northwest


I have always been adventurous. I love being on the move, going places, seeing things, meeting new people. It’s kind of difficult to explain but I would love to see it all, to be in a conversation and have someone mention some small remote place and to be able to say, “hey, I have been there,” is a thrill for me. There are so many stories from this trip, I don’t think I will every have time to put them all into words before my next adventure but I have to try...

Leaving Texas for Washington State and my family reunion is a task.

I skirt the Oklahoma/Texas boarder going way north of the Dallas-Ft Worth area through Wichita Falls and into Amarillo. It’s all pretty flat with sprinkles of wind power throughout and I make mental notes of the areas I’d like to go back to for some adventuring.

Riding along US Route 82, I stop for lunch in the little town of Muenster. The town interests me because of the strong German influence and I love good German food. I locate the local market, (http://www.fischersmeatmarket.com//) buy some meat and cheese, find a shady spot by my bike, sit and call my Sweetheart. We chit chat about the day so far and talk about where I am going to stay the night. I have my “Bessie” in my saddlebag and I was originally going to find a camp ground or rest area and cinch up my hammock, but there is something in his voice that tells me that he is going to worry extensively if I attempt to go this route. I don’t want to overstress him so to alleviate his worries I promise him that I will check into a hotel.

I don’t always understand people’s worries about my riding alone. I haven’t run into a problem yet that I couldn’t figure out myself or with a little help from just a phone call. My philosophy is that I trust that God has His eyes on me and all will be as it should be.

Texas begins to feel never-ending after 8 hours and the heat takes a toll on me. Ultimately, it takes me 12 hours and 605 miles to get out of Texas and into New Mexico. I check into the Super 8 in Clayton, New Mexico an hour after dark. There is a storm riding the Capulin mountains in front of me and I don’t want to ride in the dark AND the rain. I have been there, done that and have gotten the t-shirt. It wasn’t fun and it was actually one of the only times that I have been genuinely scared while on my bike. I know that storms are going to be abundant on this trip, mostly due to the high temps.

The temps all day hovered ever so close to the 100 degree mark and then you add on the heat generated by the bike and you can begin to feel baked. I guess some may consider me a little nuts but when you are doing something you enjoy and love, you don’t tend to look at the negative.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment