Monday, July 20, 2015

Wet Socks


The adventure begins well.  I finish work up and head out.  It is a little cool and I have to wear my sweatshirt but that's ok because I am on my way.  Three weeks off.  I have not taken this much time off since the kids were in elementary school and I dang sure haven't had this much time off to myself ever.  don't make it as far as I hope that first night due to a request from one of my friends living in Texas.  She wants to make Pancit for me and cannot find the noodles down in Bowie County and I have to pick up Harley Shirts for my Sweetheart and another friend. 
    I make do with getting into Terra Haute, IN and getting a little hotel.  The next day I wake up to a miserable wet day.  I am happy that I took up the extra space and packed my bike cover and even more so that I put the thing overr my bike the night before.  I get on my rain gear after breakfast and head out.  It's only a light sprinkle, I ride through parts where it's not raining at all and I am hopeful that the rain is only temporary.  My hopes are dashed in Effingham, IL when the clouds open up and proceed to drench me to the point where I cannot see 15 feet in front of me.  For safety reasons, I have to pull off.  I find a larger gas station and park my bike by one of the pumps and under cover.  I get a cup of coffee, play a couple games of Sudoku, talk to a few people that notice the bike and I go into the bathroom to dry my socks off. 
    I manage to get wait out most of the rain and make it out an hour and a half later.  I am behind schedule and I have a lot of time to make up.  I only stop for gas and to call and update my Sweetheart.  I have one planned stop to make that will take more than 10 or 15 minutes and that is in Little Rock.  That's where I make the realization.  
   I had been riding so hard and fast, not really stopping to take my time because I want to get down to Texas so badly that I didn't realize how wet my feet still were.  I changed out of my wet socks and felt so refreshed it was like I had just awakened from the perfect nap.  
   I realized that life can sometimes get like that.  You get used to things one way.  It may not be the best way, the right way, but it's just THE way things are until you change "your socks" and suddenly you realize how much better you feel.  How much better life feels with just that one little change you have made.  
   Think about your life.  What little thing could you change that would make it so much better?





No comments:

Post a Comment